Sunday 15 September 2013

Sauvage

Gahhh blogging fail. Ok I've sorted my life out. I think so anyway. I've had a crazy weekend of birthday celebrations. Before that it was travel and a festival interspersed with going to hospital like a good medical student. Now, it's detox time. It's get my life in order time. It's achieving time. And importantly, it's blogging more time!

I hope someone missed me ^^

I thought I'd kick things off with a little restaurant review of basically the first 'Paleo' restaurant in Europe. It's called Sauvage and it's in Berlin. I went there for a few days to visit a friend, and since we both kind of follow paleo principles we decided to check it out. And I'm am SO GLAD we did. It was incredible! One of the best meals I've had, and knowing it was healthy was just the (refined sugar free) icing on the (gluten free, low carb) cake! Sauvage follow Paleo principles in their cooking - so no dairy or grains in any menu item. Desserts are sweetened with natural sugars (like honey). Meats are organic/free range. It's all about fresh, organic and made from scratch.

We went on a balmy Friday evening. Inside it's fairly small, but intimate with lovely ambiance, but outside (where we sat) is where it's at! The outdoor tables are on a quiet residential street, and although a bit dark, it was perfect on that evening. I ordered a main course and dessert. For mains it was some kind of mutton ragu with olives and yucca mash with nutmeg. The meat was tender and flavourful, bursting with Mediterranean flavours, while the mash was creamy, smooth and slightly sticky. It's hard to describe if you've never had yucca before, but if you're a fan of starchy foods like potato or yam, you'll love the stuff! I got addicted to it on my South American travels. Dessert was a lemon mousse with fermented berries. It was basically a lemon curd, which I assume they used coconut oil in instead of butter. Oh man, it was beautiful. The tart berries perfectly offsetted the creamy lemony goodness of the curd. I also tried one of their homemade spirits (can't remember which) but that also, was amazing.

I love that this restaurant is all about local, organic, fresh food, and everything is made from scratch.  That's true sustainable commitment. It was a bit on the expensive side (but totally worth it, and what you'd expect for this kind of quality) and the entire experience was wonderful. ALSO, I cannot forget to mention the toilet. THAT was pretty cool in itself! There were candles, and ornaments and it smelt good, more like a shrine than a toilet. Who'da thunk it?!

If you're ever in Berlin, check this place out!

Contact information

Pflügerstrasse 25, 12047 - Berlin
Tel: 030/53167547
reservations(at)sauvageberlin.com



I'm sharing this with Real Food Wednesdays! Check it out for more real food posts

No comments:

Post a Comment