Sunday 8 January 2012

Super Duper Fat-bomb Ice-cream






Fat is where it's at.


So I found this recipe over at Whole Intentions a while back and thought it looked too good to be true. Ice-cream made of just butter, eggs and coconut oil?! No way can that be legit. But it was. There's pictures and everything! And I'm sure you'll agree it looks marvelous.

One problem though.

When I finally got round to making it I failed abysmally. Okay well it wasn't exactly 'abysmal'. But it certainly didn't look as good as Paula's. It was grainy and clumpy and not smooth at all :(. It did taste good though.  The first time I made it, the fat probably got too cold too quick because it started to clump in the blender. The second time I mixed it manually and it still came out grainy. Not one to give up I just had to try it a third time. But with one change. Instead of using whole eggs I used just yolks (something I contemplated doing before I ever made it, as you can see from the comments). And it worked a whole lot better! A lot smoother and creamier.  Now don't be fooled, this isn't exactly like regular cream based icecream. But it's definitely a good substitute, especially if you're want something higher fat (keto icecream!) or are on a diet that restricts dairy proteins. I still want to have a few goes at the original recipe (maybe blend for longer?) as I really want to achieve Paula's results. But for now, this will do :)

Super duper fat-bomb ice-cream (don't you just love this name? :P)

Ingredients
3 T coconut oil
1.5 T butter
2 egg yolks
stevia to sweeten
fresh vanilla seeds
rice syrup (optional)

Method
1. Melt butter and coconut oil. Let cool to room temperature (so as not to cook the eggs)
2. In a seperate bowl whisk the egg yolks then pour in the fat and mix till emulsified
3. Add stevia and vanilla, then freeze (I froze mine directly in the bowl) for a few hours
4. Let thaw slightly and enjoy (topped with syrup if you want)

2 comments: